The Corporation Scholarship Committee selects students to receive scholarships.
MFST first established its scholarship program in 1993 with the award of a $2,000 grant ($500 a year for four years) to a high school senior. Over the years donations permitted increasing the number and value of the annual grants, raising the top scholarships to $12,000 with others ranging from $2,000 to $10,000. Significant legacy gifts have permitted the corporation to increase the total grants to eighteen. To date, over $1 Million have been awarded in scholarship grants.
Initiated as a military officer based organization, the eligibility criteria has been revised in recent years. The direct ancestor’s or legal guardian’s military service must have a rank of E-5 (Non-commissioned Officer) and above or comparable grade in a military service office. This rank requirement is waived in the case of Purple Heart recipients or those who died while on active duty. More specific explanation of this requirement is given on page one of the application.
To be eligible for a scholarship from MFST, applicants must fulfill the following qualifications:
- Must be a High School Senior.
- Must have the recommendation of his/her principal.
- Must have achieved a minimum score on any of the following: 21 on the ACT or 1,000 on two-part SAT. Must also have a GPA of 3 on a 4 point grading scale.
- Must demonstrate superior leadership skills in school and or community activities.
- Must possess moral and character attributes worthy of scholarship candidates.
- Must maintain a “B” average (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) throughout the term of the scholarship, being re-certified annually for college attendance. Failure to do so will result in probation for one academic year. If a “B” average is not later maintained, such failure will result in disqualification and forfeiture of the unused portion of the scholarship.
- May only apply for one scholarship and must return completed application to arrive at the MFST corporate office no later than Thursday, February 1, 2018.
How to ApplyDownload the Application